Monday, May 5, 2014

Under-Bed Storage

Who does not need more storage?
I have had these vintage drawers for awhile now.
Don't you love these "built-in" knobs:)?

First…I did this….
I cut 3/4" Velcro (the "tooth" part) in half and….
used small finish nails to attach the Velcro to the 2 sides of the drawer.
I measured my drawer and using painter's cloth, I hemmed the four sides.  I, then, cut the 3/4" Velcro piece (to accompany the "tooth" piece) in half and sewed these pieces to each side of the cloth to correspond with the drawer Velcro.  Goodness….does that make sense:)????  Please see above picture:)
I then added the casters to the four corners.  I purchased the smallest casters that I could find and attached them with screws.  But………..it seemed too PLAIN so……I had to add a…….

beautiful scroll work graphic from Graphics Fairy using the fabric transfer method with freezer paper and an inkjet printer.  See Graphics Fairy for details on this.  I love the faded quality of the graphic on the painter's cloth.  It works with the vintage quality of the drawers.   Now…..it's ready for much needed storage for an area that was under-used (no pun intended:)!)

Hope you all have a wonderful week.



I will be joining the following party:

-That DIY Party - DIY Show Off



Friday, May 2, 2014

Pillows

I have been in a sewing mood lately, and thought I would share a couple of projects:)


This time of year, I add an aqua color palette to my usual neutral palette.  I am always on the lookout for fabric that combines the best of both.  These pillows were made from two napkins from World Market.  I loved the color combination the minute I saw them!  So simple to make with burlap fabric for the back using an envelope style pillow method.  I loved the fabric so much, I purchased a few placemats for our dining room table.

Something "beachy" for our front porch:)  This pillow is made from painter's cloth using the transfer method with a font from the computer.  It is very difficult to see, but I added an aqua seahorse graphic from Graphics Fairy.  I like the faded out look of this pillow.  I used the same envelope style pillow method for this one as well.

I enjoy making "envelope" pillows, because they are so quick and easy.  I, also, like using the same pillow form for different seasonal change-ups.  It makes storage a lot easier too:)

Have a great weekend everyone:)!

I will be joining the following link parties:

Frugal Friday at Shabby Nest
Under $100 Link Party at Beyond The Picket Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

Monday, April 21, 2014

Renew & Refresh with Nautical Decor

It seems that when you live in a coastal climate, there are always renovations to do.  Recently, our front deck was due for a few structural renovations.  So, I decided it was the perfect time to renew and refresh this area with more than just painting the wicker.  I wanted to change things up a bit by adding a few new nautical touches…

 This table has been on the deck for the last nine years.  It has a bit of a distressed finish, a scratch here …peeling paint there…just good patina:)  I sanded it a bit and gave it a good cleaning.  This is a graphics fairy compass rose.  I added the directional letters to complete the look.  I, simply, increased the size of the compass to fit our table, traced it onto the table, and used black paint pens to complete the project.  I finished it with two coats of water-based acrylic to protect the design.  Very little effort for a huge visual impact:)!

The candelier has been on the deck as long as the table.  I had painted it black, but it also needed a bit of a change-up….

This project was a bit more time-consuming, but I am really enjoying the results.  I purchased new glass candle holders and battery-operated candles for each container.  I have a large spool of jute that was gleaned years ago from a yard sale.  A glue gun and patience helped to "renew and refresh" this piece.  The jute gave it that nautical flair that I was going for.

I have collected several birdbaths over the years and this is one of my favorites…….


Someone put a bit of black paint on it years ago, and I have left the original patina.  I added beach sand, a few shells and a glass tabletop.  A nice place for my coffee in the morning:)

Here is another picture…

The chest is an old army box that I painted, distressed, and (although not showing) added casters to the bottom for a more industrial look.  It, also, makes it easy to move out of the way, if needed.

All of the wicker pieces were in need of some TLC.  Although I loved their distressed look, I wanted them to be usable for many years to come.  And the flaking paint was becoming a nuisance.  After a good cleaning and scraping, I hand painted each piece with a quality white gloss paint.  Hand painting is very time-consuming, but the previous hand painted work that I had done on them had lasted the nine years.  I cannot believe it had been that long!  Time flies:)  It made me realize that I now need to work on our stairwell deck furniture!

I hope you all are having a wonderful week:)  Thank you for stopping by:)


I will be joining the following parties:

-Frugal Friday at Shabby Nest
-Under $100 Link Party at Beyond The Picket Fence
-Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage